Tuesday, 21 April 2015
Retirement in An Garda Siochana.
There are a few thoughts that I have and would like to share with you regarding members who retire from An Garda Siochana.
1. Firstly there is no exit strategy for members.
2. Like most other professions people are important and their views are valued.
3. Each retiree should be given an opportunity to express their views whether good/bad regarding their experiences so lessons can be learned for the future.
4. Expertise should be passed on where possible, -as this is never done in An GS.
5. A 3-day pre-retirement course 6 months prior to retiring.(A week is too long).
6. A follow up post-retirement course for those who desire it.
7.There is no continuity and everything is lost when a member retires.
8.More members with expertise should be utilised as civilians.